Dalby’s Commercial Hotel was built in 1885 in Cunningham Street by Dan Condon. Dan was the licensee until 1894 when his daughter Ellen became the publican.
In 1909 the building was demolished and a new two storey brick establishment was erected in its place.
The pub has seen a few female publicans take the reins – with Ellen handing over the license to Mary Hanley/Winkle who ran the pub until 1917. After that, various people such as Edward Donegan and Vic Lowe ran the hotel until 1952, when Mr Tom Shanahan and Miss Mary Barry became partners in the business. In 1958 Mary purchased Tom’s share in the partnership and in 1986 she purchased freehold of the building.
Mary was something of a legend, running the pub until her passing in 2010 at the age of 91.
She was supported for many years by loyal staff – several of who are still at the pub today. Marys Commercial Hotel is now under new ownership and management.
Over the years there have been many famous faces who have visited Mary’s and many pub traditions that have become part of the fabric of the local culture. The hotel has had a long term connection with the Dalby Rugby Union Club and even has a special room called “the Rugby Room”.
While the pub was officially called The Commercial Hotel, it’s been referred to as “Mary’s” for many decades. As a tribute to Mary, in 2010 the pub’s name was officially changed to Mary’s Commercial Hotel (Dalby).